AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

liquid fertilizer vs dry
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Bill Moyer
Posted 9/23/2006 14:45 (#46057 - in reply to #45973)
Subject: Re: liquid fertilizer vs dry

Coldwater, Michigan
Pat,

I can find myself in total agreement with you concerning treating of No-till at planting time. There is a need, particularly in No-Till, to get some extra nitrogen in there whether or not somebody does that with conventional till. Also, if there is a need for extra P, it can easily be accomadated at the time the N is being added.
Of course, where have we ever seen excessive P levels? Ha!

The argument advanced for the slowing down to fill is just some of what I hear in parts of the thumb, or when in parts of Illinois. No-Till to be successful usually requires a bit more attention to the planting operation than maybe necessary for conventional planting. That has a lot to do with doing your tillage and planting at the same time.

The experience with the wheat drill doesn't surprise me a bit. Wheat is very responsive to seed applied P, or if you will a little more precision placement of nutrients. Somehow broadcast just doesn't quite get there. Particularly in the past, wheat was a cash flow crop. No body spent any time on it because it wasn't particularly a money maker. Blend wheat and fertilizer together Broadcast it, disk it in. Quick, easy, reasonable yield. The guys today looking for the high yield wheat sure don't do it that way.

Pat what part of Michigan are you in? I'm in Coldwater.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)