AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bought a Farm that needs alot of fertizer, what do you think?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Carl In Georgia
Posted 9/24/2006 20:51 (#46394 - in reply to #46369)
Subject: Re: Bought a Farm that needs alot of fertizer, what do you think?

Ashburn, GA, (very close to Heaven!)
Well, it kind of depends on your soil type, High Cotton. The Phos level is pathetic, the Pot level is bearable, by my standards. I don't know what lab you use, but to need 4 tons of lime, you mush have some high buffer pH and some low pHw. You say this is 80 acres. Is this an average of several samples, or did you just pull one sample? What about nematodes? If there are some problems there, you'll have to up the fertilizer yet a little more and/or use some kind of nematicide.

What about your calcium and magnesium levels? What is your CEC? Depending on the crop, do you really need the 108 lbs of N from 18-46-0 DAP? I know that there is a small spread between that price and the price of 0-46-0 TSP, but in your case TSP will almost certaninly be a better buy. I hope you apply some of the fertilizer and lime ahead of some deep tillage.

Being a gung-ho conservation tillage proponent, this is one farm that is not ready for conservation tillage year after year yet; get thos P levels up FIRST. I'd put out 300 lbs of 0-46-0, about half of my lime requirement, then deep till (at least on my sandy soils) this fall. This winter, finish the lime, and then in spring, finish the P, using enough DAP for the N & P preplant, K-Mg for magnesium and K, then finish out the K requirements with 0-0-61.

Wow, I am rambling a lot, but I have seen some similar cases.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)