AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bought a Farm that needs alot of fertizer, what do you think?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 9/25/2006 07:39 (#46508 - in reply to #46460)
Subject: Great advice Carl, & with same soil type knowledge

Little River, TX

Carl, has it all there. Some things I have picked up.

I am told heavy liming will lower the uptake of potash. (that is what my soil naturally, high on lime

Heavy applications of phosphate with out including a reasonable amount of potash is hard on productivity.

As it has been mentioned, in other threads, a recommendation is an opinion, be it from one of us or computer derived. Consider on maybe a half acre applying the full recommended rate of recommended program. Take a look at it and form an opinion.

You probably know cotton needs a strong presence of potash, and that should be reasonably well distributed in the root zone. If you are looking at a computed CEC remember it is found using an equation of Ca, Mg, K, Na, & H = CEC. As you add to the soil's store of these material the computed CEC will also increase. I would expect your soil will change 1 ppm P with 15 to 25 lbs/A of P2O5, & 1 ppm K with 5 to 10 lbs of K2O. If your soils are anything like those in East Texas you will want to apply no more nitrogen than you need for the current crop, probably will want to side dress at least one time. If you soil is any thing like mine, similar to the Alabama Blackland, you will be able to put excessive nitrogen out and not loose it to leaching. Soil type really effects fertility management. As to how I made some adjustments, in my high ph, high CEC soil was to apply a ton of murate of potash per acre, prior to planting alfalfa, after the soil test had drifted down to 300 ppm K.

Regardless keep us in the loop with the results. We all will learn.

Edited by Hay Wilson in TX 9/25/2006 07:46
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)