AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 10/7/2006 12:53 (#49420 - in reply to #49378)
Subject: One trick with the electric tools.

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Is that the brushes are not lapped in and the commutators are not highly polished on many of the China built electric motors. You greatly increase your chances if you run the new tool for 5 min with no load to seat the brushes and polish the commutators. I am sure a little no load run time can be nothing but good for the bushings and gears too.
The older China tools used to have that awful thick yellow grease in the gear case that would never run back into the gears after being slung off. As normal "pre flight" maintenance I open the gear case on a new HF tool , remove the yellow crud and repack with #1 Mobil lithium grease. #1 grease( not to be confused with Mobil 1 synthetic #2 grease) is thin enough that it will flow back into the gears after the 10,000 + rpm has tossed it off the gears. I have never had a gear or bearing failure since doing this. The HF tools I have bought in the last couple of years no longer have the "yellow crud" in the gear cases,it is a thin,clear,almost synthetic looking stuff that may well be much improved,but I have replaced it with the #1 grease anyway because that has worked for me.
just a few tips to help a cheap "Chevy" priced tool do the same job that would cost you a 4 X "Cadillac" price for the best name brand.

Edited by Jon Hagen 10/7/2006 15:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)