AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A Guide to Genetically Modified Alfalfa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 10/11/2006 21:27 (#50645 - in reply to #50609)
Subject: Supply & demand is alive and well in Ohio!

Little River, TX
You can get your better premium for organic if there is a limited supply compared to the demand.
With the small premium there it is telling us there is enough organic hay to meet the most of the local demand.
Organic is a marketing tool. Build the organic dairy and horse production and they will pay more for your product.
I had a nice couple raising dairy goats, and selling All Natural cheese. That worked until they switched to organic and now they buy organic alfalfa shipped in from 200 to maybe 300 miles away. They must pay a whole lot more than I charged for their hay. That is ok as long as they live near Austin Texas with their peculiar ways. The Austin people not the dairy goat folks.
Until health interfered we had a dairy goat alfalfa customer welling regular cheese quality milk to a goat cheese plant for $35/100 lbs of milk. Making their own chesses is another value added notch. I suspect the organic goat dairy family are selling their cheese for the equivalent of $50 to $75/100 lbs of milk. It is pure speculation on my part but I do know they live a comfortable life style.

I assure you they earn every penny of it too dealing with some of those folks down in Austin.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)