AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A Guide to Genetically Modified Alfalfa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 10/11/2006 22:55 (#50701 - in reply to #50430)
Subject: RE: A Guide to Genetically Modified Alfalfa

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
Interesting read, but maybe not an entirely objective look. Still there is some very valuable information in there. I also find it odd that only 17% of alfalfa ground is sprayed? I'd be surprised if 17% isn't here, even with everyone going organic. I also find it odd they way they state that the use of pesticides on GM crops has increased by 138 million pounds. Of course it has gone up as GMO crops have become more common. What they fail to mention is that pesticides were used on conventional crops before they were replaced by GMO crops, and that Roundup for example is much more environment-friendly than say Velpar on alfalfa. Then they mention the amount of wildlife that visits alfalfa fields. So? I doubt Bambi will fall over dead if she is eating RR alfalfa. As a matter of fact, she will probably be better off eating a little Roundup than say a field just sprayed with Gramoxone/Sencor.

At times I find myself wanting to order up some RR seed, but this year we sold way to much hay for export to be fooling around with that. Now my nieghbors are selling all to CA dairies, so it is a natural for them. They sure have a way to control tough weeds like quackgrass now. What that article brings up is the nagging question in my mind, what if a nieghbor I have a common field border with plants RR and I am selling to export? Hopefully these issues can be resolved without farmers having issues with each other.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)