AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A Guide to Genetically Modified Alfalfa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

David Dechant
Posted 10/12/2006 00:23 (#50759 - in reply to #50430)
Subject: You'll probably get it anyway

Whether you want RR alfalfa or not, you'll probably get it anyway.

I didn't want RR corn but I got it, albeit through some unconventional means.

I got a good deal getting manure put on my summerfallow ground, as the irrigated ground has a crop on it in the summer so they are looking for open land to put manure on.

But it seems the manure supplier has a habit of dumping their rotten feed corn in the manure pile and with a a little rain some of that is good enough to sprout.

So after two sprayings of glyphosate and 2,4D to burn down weeds, there was no doubt that the corn in my summerfallow ground was RR.

unwanted RR corn

I wondered whether I should call Monsanto up and tell them to get their patented property out of my field, but I would just as soon not have anything to do with that company.

The field cultivator which I was planning on using anyway took most of it out and what it didn't get, the frost did.

What amazes me is that there aren't more people complaining about unwanted RR corn, On a recent trip to western Kansas, I saw field after field with what had to be volunteer RR corn in chem fallow ground. So I don't know why they plant it in the first place if it just turns out to be a weed later on. the bigger problem is what about those who didn't plant it but still got it?

There was a lot of alfalfa that went to seed in my area this year as the state of Colorado shut down a bunch of irrigation wells so a lot of farmers just let their alfalfa fields go. That made the honeybee guys happy. Moreover, I am planning on pasturing one such field with sheep this winter. I don't know how well sheep digest alfalfa seed, but I'm damned glad that no one I know of has planted any RR alfalfa in my area because I do not want it.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)