AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why our rural communities are shrinking.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tommyw-5088
Posted 5/4/2024 16:54 (#10728682 - in reply to #10728638)
Subject: RE: Why our rural communities are shrinking.

south Texas , York Rife Freemason
Ed Boysun - 5/4/2024 16:00

I've re-read my post and I don't see where I said I don't like electronics. It's actually quite the opposite. If it has wires with electrons flowing, I'm all over it. I'm certainly no spring chicken but I'm not quite old enough to have farmed with horses. I sort of cut my teeth on a hand start WD-9 with an 8 foot disk and Van Brundt disk drill hooked behind the disk. No drill filler, other than a tin bucket and certainly no cab. Run monitor was looking back and trying to see through the cloud of dust, if the feeds were turning. Didn't have markers so we just sort of eyeballed the distance to the last pass. Of course, if it was dusty enough, you couldn't even see that all the time. So, as my farming career progressed, I graduated to a set of 8 foot LLA disk drills, then three 8 foot LZ hoes, then 42 feet of IH hoe drills, then a 50 foot Concord, a 56 foot with a bigger cart and finally I find myself running this 63 foot with an even larger cart. Every step makes a man more productive in both acres covered and quality of the finished job. None of this would be possible if not for the electronics that make it all work. 

Ed , I started on a 706 and 14 foot disc . Dang have times changed . We are almost all cows now . I don’t have any of
The auto steer stuff now . It almost shocks me now with a 7140 and 24 foot disc compared to where we came from .

My stuff is all antique but light years ahead of where we started .

We had a MX 245 with auto steer . I did not buy it because it was really more than I could afford.

Shifter on the stick to shift gears , took all the work out of driving a tractor . Rode good with front duals and pulled like a freight train .
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)