AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buying a farm that's not for sale.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

FarmerTom4440
Posted 3/31/2024 20:06 (#10688452 - in reply to #10688406)
Subject: RE: Buying a farm that's not for sale.

saskman - 3/31/2024 19:44

About 15 years ago I bought 640 acres that were not for sale. I just told him I was interested. I reminded him a year later. One day he comes over and we make a deal. No other neighbors ever knew it was for sale. A few years later I found out some of his family did not want him to sell and offer to purchase it back. I still own it.

Yup friends were leasing a front parcel of land, which fronted their farm, from the owner. A little different story on this one. It wasn't for sale at the time they purchased the farm. but they leased this one part quite a while for cattle. The owner was getting quite up in age and decided she wanted to begin selling off lots of her farmland. She first approached my friends to see if they would like to have first chance at buying the leased ground. This took a substantial amount to make the purchase but the resulting repercussions would be devastating had they all not moved quickly together on the deal. And it was a good thing they acted quickly too. Not long after everything was signed and legally binding, the seller's adult children learned about the land deal and attempted to stop it because they apparently wanted the money. I don't know what all was said, but her kids didn't like not being able to control things. The thing is, nobody was taken advantage of on either side of the deal. Fair market value was paid for the land at the time of the agreement.

I was interested in a bigger plot of land the seller soon put on the market close to my friends' place. But one would nearly have to win a giant lottery jackpot to afford that and make improvements too. And of course somebody else took out a huge loan and bought it.

Edited by FarmerTom4440 3/31/2024 20:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)