AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buying a farm that's not for sale.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

ncianotiller
Posted 3/31/2024 16:52 (#10688136 - in reply to #10687829)
Subject: RE: Buying a farm that's not for sale.

I have purchased ground that wasn’t for sale.

I got owners name and address from courthouse and cold called out of state owner. I was honest with owner. I was in negotiations with an ethanol plant at the time that included some of my land and all of my neighbors land. I would be very motivated to purchase his 80 adjoining my farm if the ethanol plant got built. I would also be interested if it weren’t built (just not as motivated).

Owner showed up at my farm about a year later (while options to buy from ethanol plant were still in force) and we had a nice discussion.

Another year later I got a call from owner saying he was going to sell his 80 next to me whether to me or someone else for $xxxx/acre. Whose name did I want on it? I purchased the 80 plus another 60 acres of his land a few miles away that I had just became fence line neighbor to with a 100 acre purchase that I had just received signed purchase offer on.

The ethanol plant never got built. I was planning on purchasing 100 acres. I got offered two fence line farms before closing on first 100 acres. Ended up closing on all three farms (240 acres) in same week. I was sweating for a while I but with land prices today over double and low interest rates locked in now, I was fortunate.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)