AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dicision time between cutting beans or corn! Help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 9/28/2006 07:51 (#47281 - in reply to #46923)
Subject: Stong Bottoms

Martinsville, Ohio

I remember helping dad dry to push some very high yielding but down P corn into the #4 Oliver picker and I thought, well this is stupid, and set off to find why.

In almost any down corn field I can find a nutrient problem.  That is not the culprit but a part of the puzzle.

Back to the Ed saying soil test with the right test, back it up with a tissue test and we start to set the field in the right direction.  At least we know how to do that.

How many people really do it?  A handful!  Too busy, doesn't pay, so and so said it didn't work, BALONEY!!!

Several people make a good living in this country just doing this basic thing above, one I taught in high school, started to appreciate in college, depend on it on my farm.

Once we get that straightened out we have these major pests, weeds and more weeds, bugs and more bugs and diseases upon disease!  And we can grow 200 bu corn?  You wouldn't think so looking at some of these fields!

Saw a field yesterday and said Wow, the stalk is green and strong but the ear is dry!  Farmer said, I tried fungicide like you said, look at the untreated.  Down, ugly corn, but tall and straight where it was sprayed!

NO ONE THING is going to make the crop but use all of these wonderful tools we have in our toolbox now in a systems approach and VOILA!  Healthy good yielding crop!  Might even take a flood or two!

First fields of beans came off yesterday, all above 60 bu, they can't wait to harvest more...

If you have ears falling off and down corn, you aren't using all those tools.

Yes, I might have some of the highest moisture crop around Tim but I don't have many lodging problems!

You have to be able to harvest it!!!

Ed

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)