AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tough Beef...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

ronm
Posted 9/17/2023 08:49 (#10404661)
Subject: Tough Beef...

Fruita CO
Due to a screwup with the butcher shop, we are faced with about 50 lb. of beef that is as tough as shoe leather...
Back story, I rented my pasture to the neighbors for 1/2 a beef, we have done this for several years with no problems. A couple months back, they sent the last bunch to the butcher shop, & the gal called me to do a cut sheet...I told her what I thought was the same way we had always had it cut, but somehow the wires apparently got crossed, & when I picked it up, there was 3 boxes, & 2 of them were ground beef! I called them, & she said well that's what your cut sheet says. T-bones, round steak, a couple roasts, everything else ground into burger...I said no, that's absolutely NOT what I wanted, who in their right mind would want ribeyes, etc., ground up?...conversation ended with me telling her they had lost a customer.
The next day, the owner called me & said he heard we had a problem, & how could the make it right? I told him I would trade one box of burger for a box of the cuts that got ground up. He agreed to that, & the NEXT DAY called & said the meat was ready...wow, that was quick...
So I picked it up, & he said be sure to get it right into the freezer, it was just cut this morning. Uh oh...little alarm bell went off in my head...
Next day, I grilled a couple rib steaks, & yep, they were just like you would expect un-aged meat to be, tough as a boot & a little gamey...DAMN...I considered taking it back & just dumping it on his doorstep, but my wife talked me out of it.
As life goes on, I hadn't thought about it for a couple months until I decided to try another package of steaks. Thawed them out, seasoned them up, & let them set in the fridge for 2 days, thinking maybe that would help...nope. maybe a little better, but my wife couldn't even chew it.
So that's the sob story, bottom line is, how, NAT gurus, do we cook this stuff so it's edible? Crock pot? Insta pot? Or just donate it to the Catholic soup kitchen? The thread about GOOD roast beef the other day inspired me to vent about this fiasco...
I wonder if he didn't just kill an old bull he had in the back pen & cut him up to get me off his back...

PS: The meat that came from my neighbors' animal is great...aged for 10 days, excellent beef, he did a good job. Just the stuff he replaced it with that's a problem.

Edited by ronm 9/17/2023 08:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)