AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tough Beef...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

cfdr
Posted 9/22/2023 09:14 (#10411509 - in reply to #10408905)
Subject: RE: can it

Interesting. Any idea how sharp the cut-off is at that temp? The reason I ask is that my wife's method of cooking roast beef is it take it out of the freezer just before we go to bed and put it in a cast iron covered pot and put it in the oven at about 200 degrees (I'd need to ask to be sure of the exact temp). It is fall-apart tender by noon the next day. I suspect that the slowly thawing meat allows for the time/temp needed for tenderizing.

I think I have posted this some time ago, but shortly after we were married, I was guiding and had a hunter give me the meat to a moose he had just shot. It had run for a couple of miles - not hard, but steady - after being spooked by something. We watched it all the way coming down the mountain, and I knew where the trails went, so intercepted it. The hanging meat froze overnight - no aging whatsoever. The meat was burgundy red - but the flavor was not affected - only the toughness. She tried everything. Even ended up stewing the t-bone meat. (That was prior to finding out about cooking slowly from frozen - so I would be curious if that method might have salvaged it.)

I would be curious if you try the slow-cooking frozen method if it works.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)