AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Almost died.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 2/28/2024 22:57 (#10644655 - in reply to #10644606)
Subject: RE: Almost died.

Well don't do what I do, but a "expert" told me I do it wrong. Hard birth and fluid on lungs I will take my pulling chains put on rear legs and quickly hoist calf up over panel or corral fence. Trying to get fluid out of lungs. Then don't hold them very long, then tickle inside nostrils with a straw or weed. Trying to get them to shake head or breathe.

If not breathing I'll then give a chest pounds on calf with my foot gently. Then proceed to give mouth to mouth. Hold mouth shut and one nostril shut then blow air into the other nostril. Keep working chest as well.

I was told hanging a calf put too much stress on them. With organs putting pressure on lungs. However if dying to got to work fast. If on unlevel ground put head down hill or rest calf on bale of hay, hang head over side.

There is a tool sold to help give mouth to mouth to calves. You better have it at cow side before you start, because you don't have time to run around and find it. I've found easier to just give mouth to mouth with your own mouth.

The best trick is to use a peice of straw or weed to tickle inside nostril.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)