AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Almost died.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

lacockcattleco
Posted 2/29/2024 07:56 (#10644959 - in reply to #10644606)
Subject: RE: Almost died.

N.E. MT
You should always have epinephrine handy for this situation. One dose of epinephrine can keep their heart beating for several minutes after it would’ve normally stopped. I leave multiple syringes loaded with epinephrine in a toolbox right by maternity pen. It also works brilliantly to relax the uterus when dealing with a breach. If they don’t need it it really doesn’t hurt them.

20oz pop bottle cut in half works on most calves as a breathing apparatus. Personally I prefer to cup the nose and mouth and give breaths through one nostril I guess the slime just doesn’t bother me.

Pinching between the nostrils and shaking vigorously for short little bursts sets them into a painic and almost always gets them to gasp. rubbing aggressively on the end of the nose with a roughy rag or your cold snap calving gloves also works wonders. We have been conditioned to not poke up the nostrils to avoid getting germs up there.

Hanging upside down puts a lot of weight on diaphragm/chest/lungs and is usually not successful in getting good breathing going, our vet preaches against it. We have a pulley/rope hanging above maternity pen for that and c-sections. Makes doing a c-section much easier. Also works well for lifting on a tail to put a prolapse together.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)