AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

37 pin John Deere harness to 16 pin Raven harness
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/26/2024 08:39 (#10680853 - in reply to #10680777)
Subject: RE: 37 pin John Deere harness to 16 pin Raven harness

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
tberger06 - 3/26/2024 08:02

I have a liquid setup with 4 shutoffs, a 12V magnetic flowmeter, a pressure sensor, and PWM controls for a hydraulic pump. The harness for those items terminates in a 37 pin connector with 12 pins being used (I believe it's for connecting to a John Deere rate controller). However, I want to use an Ag Leader liquid module to control everything and the harness for that terminates in a 16 pin Raven connector with an additional 14 pin connector that only has 3 pins being used (I think it's for a pressure sensor).

I cannot find any adapter harnesses to attach the two, so I will just splice them together. From what I've gathered from various posts here, I believe I have the correct pinouts and have matched them up, and would like some additional input from anyone to verify it is correct.

37 pin --> 16 pin
1 valve ground --> 1
4 driver 1 / section 1 --> 6
5 driver 2 / section 2 --> 2
6 driver 3 / section 3 --> 5
7 driver 4 / section 4 --> 7
15 servo - / PWM --> 4
16 servo + / PWM --> 3
21 flowmeter ground --> 11
26 flowmeter 12V --> 16
28 flowmeter signal --> 13
31 pressure signal --> red wire on 14 pin connector
36 valve power --> 16

From memory I agree with your findings and the corresponding pins assignments. You are correct in that Raven used some pins from a 14 pin connector when they decided to add an electronic pressure gauge. They had no choice since they had "used" up all the pins in the 16 pin connector.

You do not mention pin 12 on the 16 pin set. Pin 12 was originally used as power out to the flow meter. Pins 11, 12 and 13 were in a CoAx cable, with Pin 11 being flow meter ground, Pin 12 was to power the circuit board in the flow meter and originally was/is 5 Volts. Modern flow meters can tolerate higher voltages. Pin 13 was the actual signal line returning from the flow meter to the controller. Your flow meter will need a power source (5 V was max for the old ones and is good enough for the new ones).

You indicate that you believe the flow meter power may be coming from pin 16 which is certainly possible. I would test the 3 pin connector that connects to the flow meter. With the system on, hold the connector so the notch is UP. Use a meter to test voltage between the top two pins. This pair provides power to the flow meter circuitry and should show 5 V with an older Raven setup or 12 V with a newer setup. If you do not get a voltage reading between the top two pins, the flowmeter will not receive power and will not work.

You mention Pins 3 & 4 as PWM pins. This is correct but I have some concern about them. Some PWM valves are not grounded to the chassis so two wires are used to complete the PWM circuit. The polarity chosen in the Ag Leader configuration generally wouldn't matter. Some PWM valves use chassis ground and really only need one wire would be needed if it was of the proper polarity. There can be confusion with those situations and the choice made in the Ag Leader. With a wrong choice, the Ag Leader might be attempting to send power out to a direct short.

I am going from a servo valve Hagie to a PWM valve Hagie with an Ag Leader this year so I need to check this out for my own personal situation.

The other remaining pins that you did not mention may not apply to you. There are pins for boom sections 5 and 6 as well as some others that do not pertain to your situations. The Deere connectors seem backwards to me since Deere seems to have taken the "backwards" approach of using pins and sockets in the opposite locations of what I would expect. They do this with weather pack connectors on my Deere combine as well. In other words they put pins where I would expect sockets and sockets where I would expect pins. Notice the large connector in your picture. Deere uses pins there where I would expect sockets.

Really the best approach for you would be to use the genuine Ag Leader style cable that utilizes an AMP connector with four large and several small pins. The mate to it can connect directly to the flowmeter, control valve, section valves etc. I'm afraid an adapter made by splicing two cables together may not be the best for long term use.

Edited by tedbear 3/26/2024 08:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)