AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Train freight ad
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

robaer1
Posted 2/28/2008 10:21 (#321606 - in reply to #321549)
Subject: RE: Coal

things are changing all the time. i listen to the annual as well as other reports predicting freight volume etc. and trust me just like any other business there's a whole list of opions. but freight is on the rise as a whole but will see slow spots.

WARNING LONG DRAWN OUT POST REAd SPARINGLY!

any way the freight business is hudge its kinda like saying we can produce enough grain ethanol to due away with gas aka just ain't goin to happen. everything is shipped one way or another and i do mean everything ok now think of all the roads and the logistics it would take to pull it off. reminds me of cfi based out of joplin mo anyway they tried placing key termanels all over the country in order to relay freight from one side of the country to the other aka making everyone local drivers and it did work to an extent but if you've ever waited 7 or 8 hrs for a shipper to put a load together and to complicate things more there might be several drops along the way and then we start talking about LtL freight aka less than truck load and that is big money just ask conway {conway bought out cfi} because 1 load could run into any range per mile or on contract or what ever aka typical price range $2 per mile general freight and ltl the sky the limit aka $10 a mile and just for general info they do have ltl freight boards. you as a consumer are paying for trucking fuel aka fuel surcharges and other means. just like farming you can be stuck in a bad contract but today a trucker talking about high fuel prices is like anyway its just flow through money to the consumer.

my predictions the gov will press super hghways and more direct routes and they will press rail as well and i would agree on all fronts to an extent. me being a driver and a long list of other things see the changes all over the country for new interstates and new routes. anyway new roads equal easy access and thats the edge aka door to door anywhere. rail is expsensive to put a spur in and if no spur then back onto a truck and how many trains on one track and time logistics. rail will be a factor but more freight will always be there. you can call 10000 or more companys to come to your door with a truck and door to door and rail has you by a noose.

so why dosn't everyone do LTL freight aka time logistics and getting it put to gether. all business boil down to mathmatics and luck and opertunity. some company's made a killing in ltl and some didn't. another mistake alot of people make is that all trucking is the same and its not espceally on the business end. i have worked for jb hunt in the past and what they call inter mobile aka rail freight aka next big thing way back when and guess what they still have standard otr and deicated and the deicated that i was on had a rail spur. just a side note i tried getting onto the LTL business as a half way house between citys for a one pick up or drop off place but its like trading futures on the spec end. better know what your doing and how to run lean to nothing to boom to bust all in one sentence while keeping a smile. gross for a true independent otr trucker well over $200000 a yr and why do so many go broke aka nickel and dime. next time someone laughs at you saving pennys to what ever cause just ask them for all there change and then ask 2000 or 3000 people a day aka mass amount aka some companys hope for $40 profit a load times 6,000 trucks a day. muddles the argument a bit but door to door is a primium.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)