AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Expanding the root system....(from below)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 7/20/2006 21:18 (#28392 - in reply to #28253)
Subject: Re: Expanding the root system....(from below)

Martinsville, Ohio
If I had known he was speaking at Springfield I would have made an effort. He is worth the trip.

I think he is so good because he has an analytical mind, scouts lots of fields and learned early on we are only seeing half the plant, the part above the soil.

The trick is to get farmers to dig and see what is going on down there with someone like him and figure out how to get that extra inch or whatever you are going after.

Agboy is digging but can we get that extra growth without the investment in machinery and fuel? I guess that is what I am after.

T-22 has done that for me and that is why I put you and John and others onto it early on. That is not the only answer and that is why we all continue to search the best answers for us.

Decreasing excess soil water and increasing O2 content has a huge impact on root growth but is more expensive than the tillage and fuel. Balancing the needed crop nutrients has become even more important in this scenario you portray.

Hopefully we haven't even scratched the surface yet!:)

Thanks for the great post and pictorals. I feel like I got something from the talk even though I wasn't there.

Ed Winkle
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)