AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Expanding the root system....(from below)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

wolfwood00
Posted 7/21/2006 23:25 (#28770 - in reply to #28471)
Subject: RE: Expanding the root system....(from below)

Claremont,MN
some of what is going on for you I had heard about at a meeting last winter. It was DMI employee so take it for what its worth. they claimed seeing higher yield from field being more level in the fall so if you field cultivate in the fall you are leaving it fairly level, when you rip it you leave it with bigger mounds (they where trying to sell their ripper and rolling baskets). some other points made where to do with soil particle size and the amount of water and air in the soil. If I remember right they said soil should be 25% water, 25% air and 50% soil. I don't remember exactly what they said for partical size but I know that if you work it into a dust that's not good and huge chunks are not good either. as for your ripper not working because off trash their are ways around that, I know of a guy that sprays 28% on his stalks after combining and they break down very rapidly.

one other point on compaction from above to get less compaction it has been said you need to do vertical tillage not horizontal. horizontal you be a field cultivator, disk, cultivator and their are others. vertical would be like the inline rippers, most all harrows like the to the max or even the Pheonix harrow and I am sure their are other as well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)