AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

corn yield estimate?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 8/9/2006 19:50 (#34137 - in reply to #34009)
Subject: Re: corn yield estimate?...TW

Chebanse, IL.....

GW

We do have one terminal (corn miller) that does pay a premium on tw. But-I realize they're few & far between.

I've always considered tw to be the result of kernel density @ a given moisture. This is based on nothing by my own confusion.

So-the way I see it, if you have 21,000,000 kernels of 56# tw (determined by standardized container test) they will weigh approx. 11,760#.....assuming they're 15% (or whatever)....right?

But-if you have 21,000,000 kernels of 61# tw (determined by standardized container) they will weigh approx 8% more, or approx 12,700#...again assuming 15%...right?

Those 21,000,000 kernels mathematically came from 1A. So-you got an extra 1000# of corn from that one acre since there were the same # of kernels, but denser kernels. Whether you're talking lbs-bus-kg-cwt-or light years....it doesn't matter-there were that many kernels. If you counted the kernels 1 by 1 & threw them on a scale....you'd have 1000# more from that "high" tw corn. Again-this is assuming density & moisture. Kernel size would be totally irrelevant. You harvested those 21,000,000 kernels from 1 acre irregardless of their size.

So-where am I wrong. Not sure you can change my mind though.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)