AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need your opinion on this field
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Robert in CenMo
Posted 8/11/2006 23:12 (#34823)
Subject: Need your opinion on this field

Prairie Home MO
These picture are from our silage field last week. Here's some history. Last Sat. we checked corn to start chopping on Mon.. It was almost to green. Then 100plus and hot winds and two days later it was almost to dry. My question is why some of the corn held on and some burnt up faster. We did take time and check some ears and where the corn went the fastest the ears were one to two inches shorter, so this was happening earlier in season. The field is flat and soil types do not change that fast. We're talking almost to the stalk in places. This is second year corn and last year it was cut for silage too. After we cut it last year we spread oats and ran a in-line narrow shank ripper 12 in. deep to help cover the oats. Then in March it was dry so ran a field cult. over it. This spring was NH3, field cult, plant. There is no patteren as for as tillage or fert. This field is split with a dirt road and the same hybred was planted there after beans and it stayed green. I know I should of taken the time to dig some roots but when filling silo you hate to stop for anything. The only thing I can come up with is compaction or some rootworms. What are your thoughts? Thanks Robert

(DSCF0029.JPG)

(DSCF0037.JPG)

(DSCF0039.JPG)

(DSCF0040.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCF0029.JPG (33KB - 331 downloads)
Attachments DSCF0037.JPG (31KB - 324 downloads)
Attachments DSCF0039.JPG (33KB - 300 downloads)
Attachments DSCF0040.JPG (36KB - 300 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)