AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why new drone owners don't know the rules
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 1/22/2016 19:42 (#5056425 - in reply to #5055832)
Subject: RE:Speaking of rules . . . commercial farming vs hobby/recreational use

Chebanse, IL.....

Old&Ugly

You are 100% correct. People, including my friend Dave, are citing "proposals". Some have already been shelved. There is no legal requirement to abide by a "proposal". There is presently no FAR (Federal Air Regulation) prohibiting night flight by a drone, lighted or unlighted. Airplanes don't have to be lighted to fly in daylight, but they do require nav lights to fly during "hours of darkness". I do not see any FAR for requirement of lights on a drone...anytime. Again, we're talking regulations here, not local heresay or some club guidelines. Of course it's idiotic to fly at night without lights, but the discussion is on whether it's legal or not..

There are a lot of NPRMs (Notice of Proposed Rule Making) on the books for everything. None are binding....yet. There are a lot of things printed on the internet that are not true....I hope this is not earth-shattering news to anyone.

If there is an FAR prohibiting night flight by non-commercial drone users, could someone please link the FAR. By the way, FARs will be preceded by a number and a date, if amended. They will be something like this one stating MINIMUM equipment necessary for night flight of certificated aircraft. Note these regs apply to the aircraft, not the pilot. Pilot regs would be under Part 61:

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div8&node=14:2.0.1.3.10.3.7.3

Note this is a US Govt publication, coming electronically from the US GPO (Govt Printing Office). This is not some user-group website.

So, if I'm missing the FAR saying non-commercial drones (less than 55#) can't fly at night, please link me to the FAR & accept my apology for oversight.

I also note the 333 someone linked shows max altitude of 200' AGL. What is the general interpretation of altitude limitations now for drones? 200'?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)