AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Illegal to spread manure on soys in Iowa???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GlenravenFarms
Posted 10/1/2006 11:07 (#48031 - in reply to #48025)
Subject: Re: Illegal to spread manure on soys in Iowa???

Genoa City, WI
As a poster above mentioned, there really isn't any reason to apply N to soybeans unless you need the space for manure disposal. Which a lot of hog operations need. What makes me mad is the people claiming that 'soybeans don't need N'. They do, a lot of it. Soybeans will use N available to them in the soil before fixing their own, but it doesn't seem to lead to any appeciable yield increase, and I wouldn't recommend actually spending any money on N fertilizer for beans. Foliar feeding just before bloom using a product like Awaken which has a bit of N in it, along with potash, zinc, and some other micronutrients does seem to lead to yield increases, but I think that's more to do with the zinc and micronutrient package than it does with the N content.

As for #2, the idea that soybeans actually provide an N credit to corn is actually a fallacy. Dr. Fred Below out of the University of Illinois gave a presentation on this at a Syngenta event, recently...I'll try and find the presentation notes, as a five minute Google search didn't turn up anything useable.

Not sure about your third question, I don't have any experience doing anything like that.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)