AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Diabetes book
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 2/10/2024 09:42 (#10617023 - in reply to #10616875)
Subject: My diabetes reversal and health improvements experience

Pittsburg, Kansas
About the exact opposite of what your link says of what I personally have found out based on my own personal journey the last 5 years.

My personal benefits of a low carbohydrate ketogenic style of eating listed below. So you will understand how I question the validity of the information in your link.

Keep in mind I have been full blown diabetic for around 35 years. Insulin dependant probably 25 years. Reversed with only diet change. Nothing else.

After starting a very low carbohydrate, ketogenic diet:
1. Went from using 90-100 units of regular and long lasting insulin a day taken in 4 different injections to zero units within two weeks. With better blood glucose control than when on insulin.
2. Stopped taking two other diabetic medicines within a couple months.
3. Stopped taking a couple blood pressure medicines within 3 months. No longer needed them.
4. Knee pain subsided in two weeks and went away in a month completely. Surgeon said one needed replacement. No replacement needed now.
5. Stopped having lower back/kidney pain within a month.
6. Skin tags went away within 6 months
7. No longer have regular jock itch that I used to treat with medicated powder. Haven't used powder in 4 years.
8. Mole under my eye reduced size and coloration. Another dark mole on one testicle gone, vanished over time.
9. Am able to run at a sprint speed. Probably couldn't run 50 feet before when was fat.
10. Lost 100 pounds and kept it off for about 3-4 years, still about 80 pounds less today. Have gained more recently muscle mass 10-20 pounds. I credit this to a combination of eating more meat protein, sprinting, 25-30 push-ups per day and 10-12 pullups per day. Before going keto I couldn't have done a fraction of that.
11. HbA1c went from 7.0 to 5.8 in first year annual checkup. Last A1c was 6.0.
12. Edit to add: no more hypoglycemic events - low blood sugar. Used to have them a half dozen times a year when on insulin injections.
13. Edit to add: no more bleeding gums. They used to nearly always bleed when brushing teeth. Never do any more.
14. Edit to add: feet neuropathy went away. Used to sometimes sleep with covers off my feet because they felt "hot" and tingly, also up my calf a ways. Gone after a year or two.
15. Heels stopped cracking and feeling sore from the cracks. Probably also a year or two.

I will be 70 in April. Started the diet 5 years ago. A ketogenic diet effectively saved my life from the diabetic path I was on. Wife was not yet diabetic but pre-diabetic. She was overweight and lost significant weight. Low carb ketogenic brought her blood sugar levels to completely normal.

No more knee pain. No more back pain. No more insulin. I am on no prescription medications other than a couple eye drops for glaucoma. Before the diet change took half a dozen pills each morning. No more insulin injections before each meal and before bed.

I think the guy in your link is full of bunk.

So you can see where my personal experience does not align with the information in your link.

Edited by John Burns 2/29/2024 07:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)