AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Food Plot/Pasture Blend
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

r82230
Posted 3/8/2024 15:03 (#10657411 - in reply to #10657025)
Subject: RE: Food Plot/Pasture Blend

Thumb of Michigan
Iron Archer - 3/8/2024 09:54

Don’t buy “Food plot” seeds, giant waste of money.

Here’s a list of my standard go to plants.

Black oil sunflower (bird seed)
Cereal Rye
Annual ryegrass
All clovers
All brassicas
Oats. (Feed oats)
Winter Wheat

One of my favorite plots is turnips and crimson clover mixed with some type of grain. I love it because you can just clear the area with a rake, or better yet lawn mower with the deck way low than broadcast seed. You could drag it or just walk away if you’ve rain coming in.

It will grow like crazy. All the brassicas have really small seeds so you don’t need any type of tillage.

The best advice I can give is to use an exclusion cage. Here’s why. You plant seeds, get all excited, come back a couple weeks later and all you see is bare dirt.

What you didn’t realize was the plants got nipped to the ground before they had a chance to grow. It sounds stupid but I’ve had at least 100 people call me and say “The food plot you planted wasn’t worth a chit!”

They didn’t use a cage and zero idea it got hammered nonstop. This could be a “here” problem because we have crazy high deer pressure because all the dumbasses I know don’t shoot the lady deer.

Ya tell them over and over but they’re waiting for that big buck…stupid. Lol

Exclusin cage is spog on, my son's business is planting food, plots, a soil test is also pretty smart.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)