AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Food Plot/Pasture Blend
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Iron Archer
Posted 3/8/2024 21:39 (#10657963 - in reply to #10657108)
Subject: RE: Food Plot/Pasture Blend

South Eastern VA
I forgot to mention my climate allows for a lot of fudge room. I get a lot of rain (50+ inches) and we have a mild winter most years. If we get a frost it will be gone by mid morning. Michigan is like a whole different planet compared my southern climate.

There have been plenty of winters without enough HARD frosts to kill my cover crops or food plots. Its no big deal because herbicides or mowing them killed it all.

Another thing would be checking with your neighbors and see if they have leftover seed. Mainly with soybean seed that is just taking up space in someones storage, they get tired of looking at it and want it gone.

One of the best hunting years Ive had (most deer taken) was the home farm got planted with soybeans the last week of September because someone gave me an entire tote of seed they got stuck with. There were so many deer hitting the beans every day when they sprouted people thought I fenced them in. lol

I don't do any of this for a living so it has all been trial and error, especially before the inter web years. Im 48 now and all this started around when I was 12 or so. There are also a lot more cover crop seed companies than ever. Always ask about "clearance too"

I love a deal. Hahaha
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)