AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can an app replace a retail salesperson?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Bill Moyer
Posted 3/20/2024 12:55 (#10672758 - in reply to #10672648)
Subject: RE: Can an app replace a retail salesperson?

Coldwater, Michigan
Right out of college I was considered a sales rep. What that meant was I was a salaried employee and they could send the hourly help home at a given time and I would still be there to run the 10-34-0 converter till all hours of the morning, then be expected to be there when the plant opened at 7:00 in the morning. At least the lead operator(salaried) of the plant would be there till midnight when the converter was operating. Then if the converter was running smoothly he would leave.

One night the converter wouldn't settle down and before he left at midnight, I asked him to go out to the rail car and see if things were ok out there. On his way back he stepped across the hose leading to the storage tank and the hose blew off. We immediately shut everything down and shut all the supply hoses and the ones running to the storage tanks off.

Next morning we caught hell for shutting things done because we were going to get demurage charged on the rail cars that weren't empty when the train came that day. The Plant Manager had been given the complete materials (manuals) for maintenance schedules and told what needed to happen when the plant was built and how often. He had never chosen to share any of that with any body at the plant and we had run 2x as much 10-34-0 as we were supposed to do through that pipe converter prior to tearing it down to maintain it.

We got to pay demurage on 10 rail cars for about 5 days before the converter was running again. I got to read the manuals during the next several rail cars. During those 5 days I got to play Sales Rep again!

The title was a way to get out of paying overtime sometimes!

Edited by Bill Moyer 3/20/2024 12:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)