AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I told you some GMO doesnt work here
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NE gearhead
Posted 10/5/2007 07:49 (#214695 - in reply to #214425)
Subject: Re: I told you some GMO doesnt work here

Adaptation is not just economics, especially with seed. The relationship of seedsman and farmer also influences it. If the seedsman is convinced it does not pay, they will not promote the technology. Many farmers in Ohio are price buyers, not basing the decision on net income, but on current input cost. Paying for a new strategy needs to be evaluated over time, and too many people evaluate it on a single year. The majority of research, both company based and independent, shows that the technologies pay over the long haul over the majority of ground.

That said, each individual farmer needs to evaluate his/her fields on the field's historic yield potential, and historic problems. If a technology could overcome some of those problems, why not give it a try. BUT, work with a skilled, knowledgeable seedsman to place the best genetic/technology package on those acres, and use your agronomist to make sure you are giving those acres the best chance to perform. Then try it for several years, over several different types of growing conditions. And, keep an open mind in the process. I'll bet the no-tillers that are still doing that practice did not give up on it after the first 3 years.

BLD
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)