AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Advice on buying a JD 4440
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mr. Snerdly1
Posted 2/28/2008 20:05 (#322008 - in reply to #321892)
Subject: RE: Advice on buying a JD 4440

Check the axle bearings. More than likely they are out or going out, unless they have just been done. Pressure check the cooling system to see if the head is cracked. Cracked heads are very common on these tractors. I would encourage you to get one that has the crankshaft driven oil pump. The earlier ones had the pump driven by the camshaft and on most of the high hour ones they are ready to go the trip. The camshaft will probably also be ready to go on the high hour ones, as far as the lobes and lifters. Usually the rods are egg shaped by this time as well. I don't know of any real good way to check the power train out other than testing for a slipping clutch, and be damn sure to do this after it is warmed up real good. You might want to run a lube pressure check on the transmission. This can tell you some good information, but be damn sure the dealer does this when the oil is at the specified temperature.

I really think you should be looking at something a little newer. Most of these tractors have had most of the good gotten out of them and are ready for major expense, unless you would be lucky enough to find one with a COMPLETE overhaul, and I don't mean rods, mains, sleeves and pistons plus a valve job. This is not even considering the gear train.

I never considered the 4440 to be one of JD's finer efforts and I have had a lot of trouble with the ones I have had. I would look for something newer and heavier built.

Forgot a couple more troublesome spots. The front axle pivot pin is many times shot. This may or may not be a big expense, but be sure to check it. Also check the kingpins, or whatever you call them. These also tend to wear out.

Forgot another thing. The sun gear in the planetary is another weak point on these tractors. If I got one, I would swap the axle housings and all components to the other side. That way you have a new surface to work on.

Edited by Mr. Snerdly1 2/28/2008 20:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)