AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

am I crazy?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

PopAtop
Posted 7/17/2006 00:36 (#27284)
Subject: am I crazy?

Maybe this is not the correct forum so "sue me if I play it wrong".

Hope this doesn't come of as whine, merely I am reflecting on what once was for my sanity. Does anyone feel as me, that todays way of life falls well short of yesteryears? I'm talking post WW2,,,50s-60s-70s. Especially for a farmer type that loved the simplicity, the honesty, the naivete of the world 50 years ago. And no, I'm not quite that old.......nearing 40, FAST! But, I sure do recall all the simple ways from back then.

Todays world of computers & cell phones is so fast paced, sure their handy but there where many more years of progressive without them than with. Life moves fast enough, do we really need to help it along?

Another thing, where do all the people come from? Are there ghost towns somehwere out there? Man what I would give to live in my county 50 years ago starting today. City folks buy 1-10 acres and suddendly you are all in their way. No matter that your family has lived in the same house for 150+ years, paid land taxes for that 150+ years! The amount of politics today alone within a small rural county is quite alarming! The red tape associated with building anything today takes a lot of the fun outa expanding a farming operation. All the traffic of today, and no one understands that a guy on a tractor is actually at work, trying to get from one jobsite to the next with as little problems as possible yet attemtping to be speedy about it.

Now, I'm not warped enough to believe that after making this rant I will awake tomorrow morning to find all things I believe wrong to be righted.

My Dad & Grandad made progress, they bought land, built homes & raised families and sent kids to college. They worked hard, damn hard! Their wives stayed home and raised the kids, fed the family 3 meals. But there was a reward awaiting all of them at the end of the year, they saw profits....nice profits and it didn't have to come from Uncle Sam!

I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels and I have much less responsibility than they. Made money for several years, now once out of 5 maybe? 4 if the weather plays nice.

Please, don't throw tomato's so hard that they burst, I could use the free food!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)