AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you tell your dad it's time to stop driving tractor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

ronm
Posted 9/6/2023 10:44 (#10390702 - in reply to #10388410)
Subject: RE: How do you tell your dad it's time to stop driving tractor

Fruita CO
Every situation is different, of course.
My Mom was doing fairly well driving at 85, but we could tell she wasn't as sharp. A couple of minor mishaps like running over curbs. As it happened, my sister had to borrow Mom's car, Honda Accord, while hers was in the shop. When she brought it back she set the parking brake, as the lot had a little slope to it...Mom got in & tried to back up, when it wouldn't move she just kept frogging it until she stripped out reverse...sort of a weak point in Accords, as I found out...after I checked on fixing or replacing the transmission, it would have cost more than the car was worth. With a little prompting, Mom finally admitted maybe it was time to quit, but she was mad at my sister for setting the brake. Sis was OK with taking the heat, as it forced the decision. The car sat back by my shop for a year, then I sold it for $500 to the son of a friend who liked to work on junkers...
My wife's dad, on the other hand, clung on to driving when it was obvious he had no business behind the wheel. I was riding with him on the way back from a duck-hunting trip & he fell asleep at a red light...I had to jog him awake when it turned green, even then he refused to let me drive...about 6 months after that, he apparently had a mini-stroke & ran off the road, over a brick retaining wall, across the yard, & smacked into a storage shed in the people's back yard...wrecked his almost-new Expedition. Even after that he called the Ford dealer & tried to buy a new vehicle, he was pissed when his wife wouldn't take him in to test drive it! Not too long after that he had a massive stroke that he never really recovered from.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)