AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Value of ketones
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 2/26/2024 06:11 (#10640212 - in reply to #10640099)
Subject: Measuring ketones

Pittsburg, Kansas
Yes wife and I have had a meter for about 4 years. We might check it several times then go 6 months or a year before getting it out again. Ketone strips are expensive!

We have never had high Ketone readings either. Around 0.4 to 0.7 is normal. Up to maybe 1.5 if after a 24 hour fast. After eating a few carbs maybe only 0.1 or 0.2.

My take is the body is not stupid. Just like it doesn't want excess glucose in the bloodstream, why would the liver make excess ketones? My take is once the body becomes fat adapted it will make ketones in an amount the body requires.

That is not to say that higher levels cannot sometimes be therapeutic. Some cancer researchers have anecdotal evidence it is. So a very strict diet and/or exogenous keystones might be beneficial for certain conditions. As a therapy rather than normal daily living. I know if I personally ever get cancer I will take exogenous keystones. I have purchased some in the past just to experiment with. Probably also MCT oil which I also have experimented with. Has shown help with people with Alzheimer's. So there may be therapeutic benefit to higher levels.

Edited by John Burns 2/26/2024 06:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)