AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Amount of Early applied N needed?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 7/26/2006 06:50 (#29949 - in reply to #29915)
Subject: Re: Jim...help me understand

Chebanse, IL.....

Jim, I know you're busy w/demos, but I'm trying to find out "why" some are believing/suggesting that fertilizer placement can effect the amount a crop removes, or fertility level needed. I'm not arguing against strip tillage, I'm questioning this reduced rate of fertilzer use due to placement. I also posted on MT page:

http://u15205752.onlinehome-server.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4897&mid=29865#M29865

I did just spend time w/soil testing folks going over results of samples pulled/tested this early summer. They suggested what amounts needed to be used (if any) and where in the field. Their recommendations were based upon the scientific readings (?) of the soil tests. Are we saying that an agronomist or lab also needs to assess the tillage method & fertilizer placement method in his/her fertilizer recommendations?

Are we saying that if agronomist suggests "you need 200#/A of K in this field to bring up levels and grow a crop....", that he/she could also suggest, "however, if you strip till & band your fertilizer, then you only need 100#/A to bring up levels and grow a crop.

I'm just not sure about this banding recommendation reducing the amount of nutrients needed. What about the following years crops (sb-wheat-etd), where will their nutrients lie, especially w/no soil mixing?

Edited by Ron..NE ILL..10/48 7/26/2006 06:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)