AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help me understand this bushel question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

cyclones30
Posted 3/22/2024 07:58 (#10674840 - in reply to #10674736)
Subject: RE: Help me understand this bushel question

Midwest

oakridge - 3/22/2024 06:51 How can that be? A bushel is 64 us pints. A bushel is a bushel is a bushel. Just a reminder, I'm not saying anyone is wrong. But technically by definition, my feed truck should hold the exact same volume bushel of oats, corn, apples, feathers, or gravel.

Bushel is just a label of weight in this case. It's not a true volume measurement. As the others have said, no one used a tape measure and "arithmetic" to get your total bushels. They were lazy and used a scale and then compared that to the "standard" set long ago for each crop. 

You can look up pounds per bushel for most anything, but that probably isn't exactly what YOUR bushel will weigh. That could be good or bad for you depending on the situation but it makes the line at the elevator go SO much quicker using weight. 

So yes, a bushel is a volume. But in your commodity case, they don't care about the volume and use weight instead. They just stick the bushel label on it for fun. You're really selling or buying pounds, tons, etc. 

Your truck does hold the same volume of apples, feathers, or corn. But no one is out there measuring the volume of the truck, weight is what matters. Drive over the scale and move along. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)