AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Big invoice and no work - what do you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

W Bench Farms
Posted 3/31/2024 10:29 (#10687691)
Subject: Big invoice and no work - what do you do?

Lisbon, OH
Having a dilemma over a recent bill I received. I have 3-4 tractors that I need A/C work done on. Mostly just tuned up, some need a few replacement parts. I figured that I would try to get someone out who knows what they are doing to try to save some time, parts replacement, and freon. Had a company that several mutual friends had recommended, and one of the techs actually reached out to me. I told him I'd like him to come out and I can show him what I'm wanting to have done, see if they can do it, give me a quote, and get a parts list together. Their shop is about 15-20 miles from me, but the tech lives about 6-7 miles from me. He said he wasn't busy that day, and I was around, so he came out. I explained and showed what I needed done on 2 tractors. Have another needing some work as well, but in the process of an engine rebuild, so that one is going to have to wait. Last tractor he hooked up gauges because I told him that the pressures were off, and not sure where the problem might be. I gave him 2 cans of R-134, and he said he'd probably change the expansion valve and dryer as a first step and see where that got us. Told him I'd get those parts ordered and we'd go from there. He may have been at the farm for an hour at most, but probably no more than 45 minutes. I told him if I owed him anything to send me a bill. Several weeks later statement comes in the mail. Total of $407.55. $100 mileage fee, $280 Labor plus $27.55 tax. I was pretty shocked. I called the beginning of last week and left a message stating who I was, and that I received a bill, and I thought it may be a little high. Received a call back Friday afternoon. I was pleasant, and owner started right off the bat with an attitude. I explained that I had tech out for a quote and looked at one tractor, and what the bill was. He said things don't cost what they used to. Said he'd call the tech and get more info. Called back and said tech used nitrogen to pressure test, and that he looked at 3 tractors. I informed him that I have him R-134, and he said that they never charge a system before the pressure test, and I told him that the system was already charged with R-134. He said send $200 and we're done doing business. To me, owner was pretty short on customer service, and really didn't listen to what I was trying to explain to him.

So here's where my dilemma comes in. I see both sides as a business owner and a customer. I know the cost of everything is up, equipment, labor, fuel, etc. I also know that if I do a job for someone, I'm going to make sure that the job is completed the way that it should be before the customer is billed. I don't want to be that guy, and the weight of not paying the bill is kind of weighing on my mind. However, on the customer side, I feel that I am entitled to a successfully completed job. I still have not received a quote for the services I had asked for. I felt that a charge of around $100 would have sure enough been enough for a quote and the little time spend here. I have been thinking about this for several days, and have contemplated writing a letter to the owner about my feelings on the matter (politely) and including $100 and calling the matter closed. I also know what it's like dealing with customers, and that's not always an easy task.

It seems like matters like this are happening more and more every day. Either work not being completed, or outrageous bills being charged. I have no problem paying for a job that was completed how it should be. However, it's very difficult for me to pay when I don't think my money is being well spent. Again, I don't want to be that guy that doesn't pay the bills, and this has been a real struggle trying to decide what to do. This has been quite a ramble, but sometimes it helps to think through these things.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)