AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cant weld worth a crap
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ernie
Posted 3/4/2008 00:22 (#325286 - in reply to #325263)
Subject: 6011 / 6013/ 7018

North End I-15
6011 is better penatrating
6013 is easier to strike an arc with but also lower penatrating and easier to get slag inclusions .
7018 is Low Hydrogen Rod . Stronger but has heavy slag and hard to restart an arc with out breaking off the outer coating with a pair of pliers. Better for welding higher carbon steels.
You didn't say what type welder you have . DC /AC ?
Practice , practice , practice. 60 11 is easier for vertical and over head as one can actually see the
" puddle" . The 6013 will look good till you chip off the slag and then looks like chicken poop in a row :>) Practice with various heats and thickness of metal . I used to weld body panels with 1/6" 6013 , the 6011 will burn through in a heart beat when trying to weld thin metals . Most often used rod for general repair was 1/8" . 5/32 for the LH rods.
Again practice with varing heat settings for the different rods. The same diameter of rod will but different type will take different settings . Proper metal prep is a must , A good clean surface is far easier to weld than rusty material . Buy a book , Lincoln used to publish a good one. my text book from Lincon cost $1.00 from the college book store Last publication date in book is 1962 :>) Linde also published a good book for about the same money for gas welding .
The old welding supply houses used to have free booklets form the various rod manufactures. They were good reference material .
Good luck .....Practice :>)
I learned to weld on a Lincoln "Pipe line special " Hand crank Wisconsen powered DC welder . Dad bought it just after the war. He welded up tank stands , Airplane hanger "A" frames , various hitches for pulling multiple hook ups , drills etc. don't know how we would have been able to farm back in the later 40's and 50's . Lots of horse drawn equipment was converted to tractor pull with that old Lincoln.
In college we had Milatary surplus AC driven DC welders . Wire welders were just new to the scene when I left . Had to learn wire welding the hard way 20 years later :>) Lots of crappy welds to start with . Practice ....
Hobart had a handy Vest pocket giude . Lots of good welding tips , do's and don't . Illustrations showing , low heat , fast travel , improper weave ,etc.

Edited by Ernie 3/4/2008 00:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)