AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cant weld worth a crap
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dave morgan
Posted 3/4/2008 08:19 (#325376 - in reply to #325286)
Subject: RE: 6011 / 6013/ 7018

Somerville, Indiana
Ernie's answer is probably the best you will get. I was going to post that a new wire welder won't help you learn to weld one bit until you master the stick, and wonder why you would buy a wire welder if you can't weld with a stick. That has to come first. The best squirrel welder is a rotary and the pipeliner is one of the best as far a last forever and not hard to find a used one. The rotary welder has such a steady arc, once you become addicted to it you won't be satisfied with a buzzer. The lightest lens you can use without damaging your eyes is number 2 on my list of squirrel options. 6014 isn't mentioned much and is a buttery rod, can run up the heat some and get penetration without as much fear of burn through. Again, the lightest lens lets us squirrels see what is happening in the puddle. The wire welder isn't for a novice if you want the weld to hold. If you want it to look pretty and break when you are finished the wire welder is a real champ for that in the hands of the inexperienced. I think Franz has mentioned that many times here and wish he was here now.

The wire welder is good for production welding, then somebody got the idea of manufacturing cheap ww for the general public. Production, is foremost, then the electrode always being the same length in confined places is 2 reasons for the wire welder being used. You can buy a wire box for a rotary welder if that need ever arises. But if you buy a ww thinking you can take off welding and the weld holding, you will likely be disappointed. Most who buy the better ww have been welding fairly often for many years. We have a ww, Lincoln 255? fairly good welder. One of our guys had one when he worked here, when he left we bought that kind and size because Ryan had used his. I very seldom use the wire welder, but I don't build many things anymore either. Ryan's biggest problem was getting the puddle to stay long enough for penetration but he broke out on a ww repairing worn thru sheet metal in combine hoppers.

Again, lens is one of the most important parts of welding, need to see the puddle easily. If welding in cold weather cup your upper lip to blow your breath out the bottom of the helmet to keep your lens dry.

Edited by dave morgan 3/4/2008 08:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)