AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean row width discussion.....again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

plowboy
Posted 7/23/2006 00:32 (#29041 - in reply to #29015)
Subject: RE: Soybean row width discussion.....again

Brazilton KS

1.  No interest in planting $38 beans.

2.  No interest in lowering population between 30" and 15".  Would say the same about 7.5" except for the difference in planting equipment.  Been there, done that, and regardless of how many people, expert or otherwise, wish to argue the point I'm convinced that the disadvantages to underplanting far exceed any percieved advantage. 

3.  Weed control is much easier in 7.5", and somewhat easier in 15" compared to 30".  See # 1 and # 2 above. 

4.  Harvest is no comparison.  

5.  Certain specialty beans we grow have more problems in wider rows.  

I'm sure of what we intend to do.  15" is our happy medium, allowing advantages of planter unit, row cleaner/tillage attachments, and a single planting utensil for both crops while maintaining most of the advantage of solid seeding.  Show me a 7.5" or 10" planting utensil that is equal to what is availible in 15" in terms of seed placement and ease of operation and maintenance and I may revert to closer rows.  If we take up wheat production again then the beans may become half and half if we owned a better notill drill, however I sort of think wheat will revert to tillage if we return to that enterprise.

Are you in Pittsburg?   I didn't see you today but by the time I got to your part of the grounds I wasn't looking at anything not specifically on my list, so I may have missed you.   

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)