AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean row width discussion.....again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

M
Posted 7/23/2006 09:17 (#29111 - in reply to #28974)
Subject: RE: Soybean row width discussion.....again

I am 10 inch rows ,have been for 20 plus years. Every year i do a 30 vs 10. 30 inch has never won, but has tied for yield. But the 10 inch has a 3 plus bu average advantage and one year it was a 5 advantage (dry year).
I would go to 15 inch if i could find the right 5500 soybean special.
White mold is a non issue and I use lots of manure(plant the right varieties that are tolerant)
Its terribly dry here right now and my drill beans have been canopied since the middle of june. 30 inch rows are still open allowing more evaporation in my book. I get better weed control on waterhemp with narrow rows, the only place they come back is were the sprayer tracks are, or my 30 inch rows in my test plot.
We run 2 rigs in the spring one in corn and the drill in beans. I drill early and shallow. The late planted beans look terrible in this area, short and very uneven.
We have lowered our populations on 10 inch down to where most farmers plant on 30 inch rows, so extra seed cost is really minimal.
Combining is easier with narrow rows.
We live in a hail area. Last year we had a storm just when the beans were dropping leaves. The broken stems fall against each other in drills, in 30 inch they fall between the rows and you lose those forever.
Narrow rows are a definate advantage when planting in june if you have to replant because of hail.
I will never go back to 30 inch rows.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)