AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean row width discussion.....again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 7/23/2006 15:47 (#29217 - in reply to #29041)
Subject: RE: Soybean row width discussion.....again

Driftless SW Wisconsin
Mark,

I am in complete agreement in your area and with the beans going into wheat - 15" is probably the way to go. Your populations are also different.

Sorry to say I am not at the Pittsburg show this week. We have 2 large Strip Till demos at the University of MN Lamberton & Waseca experiment stations lus another northern Strip Till field day last week and just could not do them all.

In northern corn belt single crop beans the 750 drill/7.5" folks often plant about 210-220k seeds/acre for a number of reasons. The 30" planter beans have been show to yield about the same in 150-160k populations, with proper variety selection, saving about a bag of seed an acre.

Harvesting with a cutting platform is definitely easier in drilled beans compared to clean tillage 30" beans (I still like the row crop head!) However in a system such as strip till where there are still some standing corn stalks between the bean rows, the platform feeding of 30" beans is really improved - more mog also helps the separator.

White mold is a serious problem in many IL and northern bean areas. Rust could be a problem.

What I said above is not appropriate for your area and for some operations. Just food for thought.

Regards to you and John.

Jim at Dawn
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)