AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean row width discussion.....again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Cliff SEIA
Posted 7/24/2006 20:24 (#29522 - in reply to #29337)
Subject: RE: frost free date

Jim, the March planted beans were really just an on-going experiement that we did for three or four years. Two years the March beans got snowed on and the last year part of one field got frosted but if I remember right that frost was in May and got alot of the later planted corn too. Based on what we saw I think frost damage on beans is way overrated, I think beans will handle a frost at least as good as corn will and I've seen some other data to back that up. If everything goes as planned and the weather cooperates we like to start planting beans as soon as crop insurance will allow (April 15th here). We are in an area that tends to get a rainy spell that starts about April 20th and runs for three to four weeks so alot of years we can either plant beans in April or late May/early June and getting a good stand of beans planted in June is alot tougher than getting them up in April. The earlier planted beans may take two weeks to emerged depending on the weather but unlike corn that doesn't seem to hurt their yield.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)