AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean row width discussion.....again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

plowboy
Posted 7/23/2006 19:22 (#29268 - in reply to #29225)
Subject: I don't think we really disagree much on seeding rates

Brazilton KS
We are pretty much dropping the same sorts of populations you listed, with the exception that I will not go below about 140k even on 30".  As a rule we do not plant 30" beans so I haven't really pushed the limits trying to find out how low you can go and I don't doubt that with early planting dates the 125k could work....we usually only do 30" when we feel we are to the point where further planting date degradation is going to exceed the penalty for wide rows, so in other words conditions are usually not good and calender is usually late, or else the 30" would be in the shed and they would all be going narrow. I'm comfortable with 160k in 15" as long as it is not July yet.  I'd be comfortable with that population in 7.5" or 10" IF I believed they were going to emerge, but the drills just don't get 'em up like the planter units. About 175k allows for some seed not ending up where you wanted it.  Actually the drill may have an advantage in a way as long as you are dropping too many seeds.....the drill will put the seed all within about +/- 1.25" of the depth you intended, whereas the planter tends more toward +/- .5", so if you get it wrong you get it all wrong where the drill will sort of cover for some of your mistakes. 
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)