AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean row width discussion.....again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mark, ncIA
Posted 7/23/2006 14:19 (#29202 - in reply to #28974)
Subject: RE: Soybean row width discussion.....again

Ron,

I think you got a bunch of great responses, really think that Pat-Mich. hit the nail on the head. M did too, but didn't even realize it.

The whole discussion revolves around "justification", whether logical or not, of each particular farmers choice in row widths. M stated machinery costs are mute; however, proved that the used narrow row machine is nearly worthless (at least in his area). When an upgrade is needed, I guess you don't want to count on much residual value in your trade-in.

Economics should be the driver. If you drill or narrow row other crops it seems like a justifyable practice as the machine is there. Same for those who need to plant soys at the same time as corn. I've seen farmers rent or custom hire drilling or 15" when they own a 30" that's parked, seems like that'd take a fair yield bump to pay for. Also know producers who have 16-31 planters that cover as few as 400 acres of soy annually, that'd take a huge advantage in yield wouldn't it?

7.5's were easier for me to justify with bin run seed and my misguilded opinion that a JD 750 was the only way to no-till soys "here". Since tech fees & ScWM & many other things including many many side by sides, I find narrow harder to justify.

The facts seem to be that some soils and climates favor a yld. boost from narrower rows. Most, other than many of your responders, don't really have a clue, just a feeling that one's better.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)