AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Magnesium levels
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

martin
Posted 9/15/2006 20:16 (#44048 - in reply to #44030)
Subject: RE: Don Smith's soil tests....

First of all, have no fear/ doubt, Penn State is (still) using Mehlich III. That is the current standard for PA soil tests.

Second, the first thing that strikes me as I look at Don's soil test is the P level - 7 ppm. That is extremely low. Optimal levels are between 30-50 ppm. It is not uncommon to see levels much higher than that.

Optimal K levels are between 100-150 ppm K (grain crops); 100-200 ppm K (forage crops). Don's K levels are low, but they do not strike me as being as far out-of-balance as the P levels.

Optimal Mg levels are 120-180 ppm Mg (forage crops); or 60-120 ppm Mg (grain crops).

Don's calcium levels are 2200. Quite frankly, that strikes me as being a bit higher than what I am used to seeing. If Calcium levels were below 1000, I might get concerned (depending what the CEC value is). However, with a Calcium ppm of 2200, and a Base saturation of 65%,  I am not sure he needs more Calcium - at least not at this time.

If Don were asking my advice, I would tell him to get some old-fashioned turkey poo, or chicken poo, and put it on (at recommended levels, of course). I think that would do him more good than anything else. Once he addressed the low P & K levels, then he can look at fine-tuning the rest of the system.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)