AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Magnesium levels
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

martin
Posted 9/16/2006 10:47 (#44219 - in reply to #44135)
Subject: RE: Don..

Interesting. I pictured you being east of State College, not south-west.

Here is a link to the NRCS web soil survey. Are you aware of this ? It's an interesting little tool to use. One note: you need to set your AOI before you can see your soils map.  (I find the rectangle tool easier to use than the polygon. It works better for me.)

The reason I ask about soil type. Over the years working in Franklin Co., I have come across a soil type called Warners silt loam. Typically, soil sample results from that soil type show Ca in excess of 90% sat, pH between 7.5-8.5, and very low P levels. Mg levels can be low or not. K levels can be low or not. Typically, fields with this soil type grows corn, and I do not get concerned with what appears to be out-of-balance numbers.
Warners silt loam is found in a limestone area, along stream banks. It is typically a flood-plain soil, and is much darker in color than the surrounding residual limestone soil. My experience, when I see them, is to sample them separately.

I doubt if you have a Warners silt loam, but you might be looking at a similiar anomoly with your high Mg levels - the high Mg being a reflection of the underlying geology, and not from over-applications of Hi-Mag lime.
Just a thought.

Edited by martin 9/16/2006 11:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)