AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Magnesium levels
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

BigNorsk
Posted 9/15/2006 23:05 (#44099 - in reply to #44055)
Subject: I don't understand.

Rolla, ND
Okay, your magnesium levels in that spot is high but I've never heard of corn being stunted and yellow from excess magnesium, especiall since according to you it responded to side dressed nitrogen. It would see way more likely to me that you experienced nitrogen and/or sulfer problems. Either some leaching so it took awhile for them to get down. Or it was too cool and so the crop wasn't using enough water to get the nitrogen/sulfer or something. It's been awhile but I was curious about the whole Calcium/magnesium ratio thing that some talk so much about so I read quite a bit of research and when the research was done well where different factors were tried and controlled, I didn't find any case of a response to the ratio being out of wack. Any responses traced back to deficiencies. Maybe your soil is really unique and you can get problems from excess magnesium but I think the nitrogen/sulfer is a lot, lot more probable, and it would even match your corn's symptoms. Even though I realize it isn't your standard soil test, I would have thought it prudent to include a nitrate test in problem spots.

Anyway, I could and probably am all wrong but I think the high magnesium test is just leading you down the wrong road.

Marv
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)