AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much time did you take off when your wife gave birth?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Bill Moyer
Posted 2/14/2024 13:05 (#10623223 - in reply to #10622473)
Subject: RE: How much time did you take off when your wife gave birth?

Coldwater, Michigan
Well I was manager of a coop elevator back when my youngest was born (32 years ago). The president of the board was a very controlling person. My wife went into labor late on Sunday night and 32 hours later our daughter was born early on Tuesday morning. Since the grain being hauled into the elevator had slowed almost to a crawl from harvest time, I called into the secretary and told her I was going to miss and why. I didn't feel bad about calling in on Tuesday morning and explaining to the secretary what was going on and she thought she and the outside guy could easily handle things.

I showed up for work early on Wednesday morning and soon had a call from President of the board, who was in Florida for a few weeks telling me that he was going to be in touch with the rest of the board about firing me. I should state I had only been hired at that point sometime in late September and this was early December.

According to him I had taken unauthorized Vacation! I called him back about noon asking if they had reached a decision. I already had my bags packed, so when he said "we probably will", I said that was fine "I have my stuff packed"!

So I guess I don't know what is an unreasonable time to take off. Just be sure everyone above you in the organization knows as much as you can reasonably let them know about the way things are going to happen. And ask what their policy is concerning the issue.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)