AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much time did you take off when your wife gave birth?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Usetobe dental asst
Posted 2/14/2024 07:36 (#10622778 - in reply to #10622473)
Subject: RE: How much time did you take off when your wife gave birth?

South Central MN
Our daughter-in-law had twin girls by c-section a year and a half ago and they also had a one year old son at the time. I believe my son took about a week off from work, but her mother and I helped out a lot. They didn't have any overnight help. She and the twins came home from the hospital after two days, but somebody did need to be there, since she couldn't pick up their son. She was able to lift and care for the twins, but obviously needed some help there also. I think it's cool to have a "Plan A", but just like any type of farming, you will likely just need to roll with whatever comes your way. Kids are not predictable. Our daughter-in-law didn't have any stay in bed restrictions, and they would go outside for walks and play outside to keep the one year old busy. It sounds like your wife may have other health concerns, requiring ten days in bed.
When our son went back to work, I probably spent most of my days at their house for the first three months, unless her mom was there. Much of that, though was because they also had a one year old. They live right around the
country block from us, and I would go over in the morning, thinking I'd be there for an hour, and I'd come home 8-10 hours later.
I don't really think it's possible to plan the perfect amount of time off from work, but I do know that if you can be flexible with a shorter workday sometimes, it will be greatly appreciated.
I remember when the girls were about three months old, I could sense our daughter-in-law was trying hard to handle things at home during the day by herself, and I knew her mom was encouraging this also. Then I was able to back off with helping. With three little kids of those ages, though, I know they really appreciated being able to go out on their own, or with the one year old about every couple of weeks. I would go over there to watch the kids during those times. When I say "go out", it was usually for about three or four hours, and often they just went grocery shopping without kids;). I would chuckle to myself when I saw them come home by 8pm, but they were always laughing and having a good time, so I knew the time away (even for mundane things) was appreciated.
The first picture is from their early days. The second is from yesterday. They come to our house once a week for the day so their mom can get something accomplished at home. They are very busy.

Edited by Usetobe dental asst 2/14/2024 07:40

(IMG_3794 (full).jpeg)

(IMG_9154 (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_3794 (full).jpeg (261KB - 67 downloads)
Attachments IMG_9154 (full).jpeg (128KB - 89 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)