AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

State of Ag Banking
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jdironman
Posted 3/9/2024 08:32 (#10658376 - in reply to #10657987)
Subject: RE: State of Ag Banking

Nw Iowa
All above good posts. Market to market valuations have been talked about in ag for some time but as reformed said, pretty hard to put a hard value on any land unless you have certified appraisal and even that is looking back, market is looking ahead. A bond is pretty easy to value. With common sense which falling markets bring back, I think most operations will be just fine. I think unless we see a black swan that is on top of another problem we aren’t going to see major problems. The 80’s were cumulation of crazy lending practices , Russian grain embargo and crazy interest rates. Here I don’t think you could ever borrow over 50% in this run up and our land values have been more conservative as our area got hit hardest in the 80’s and still a lot of guys that remember it.
Edit. I also think difference on mark to market between bonds and land is that bonds are carried at full face value, land is generally loaned at 40 to 60% of purchase price and loan on books is valued at loan not value of land. So a 10 to 20% drop should not get too many in trouble. Young farmers that have FHA loans have bank holding a first and FMHA carrying the second. I understand that there is more to it than that but fact that land is never usually financed at 100% makes market much more solid. I believe history repeats itself, but right now I don’t see things falling apart, softening yes. Ag has to cycle like any business or farmers would bid the profit out of 8$ corn.

Edited by jdironman 3/9/2024 13:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)