AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dinner time 1950
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 3/18/2024 21:13 (#10670804 - in reply to #10670731)
Subject: Soda pop as a treat rather than a staple

Pittsburg, Kansas
I agree.

Same way with fruit. When I was in first grade an orange and or apple at Christmas in a brown paper bag with some hard candy was the "treat" we got at school or church. Fruit by that time around 1960 was in the stores year round but it was expensive if out of season and considered a treat. We had apples, pears and peaches in season and in quantity, but not out of season. Ok to fatten up a little on fruit in the fall for the winter ahead.

Not so any more. We fatten up year round. Modern fruit is sweet as candy and abundant on store shelves. Fruit juice is simply sugar water. Hardly better than soda. Yes, a few vitamins but high in fructose. Fructose is metabolized in the liver the exact same pathways as alcohol. Over consume alcohol get a fatty liver. Over consume fruit juice get a fatty liver. Over consume soda pop sweetened either with sugar or high fructose corn syrup, yep, get a fatty liver. Not to mention it all spikes insulin secreted by the pancreas blocking fat metabolism in favor of glucose.

But I digress.

It is all so simple, once you understand the mechanisms.

Edited by John Burns 3/18/2024 21:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)